Car Hire Gothenburg
Car hire in Gothenburg
Attractions in GothenburgGothenburg is a charming town that has many attractions on offer. In addition to the Liseberg amusement park, you can visit the Universeum and there is also the botanical garden and the castle park where you will find a rose garden and palm house. This park is known as the "green lung" of the city, and is located near the city centre.
Next, explore the ‘archipelago’ of Gothenburg - which makes up more than 20 islands. Not far from the town centre you can explore quaint villages, breathtaking nature and beaches. At the northern part of the archipelago, you can drive your rental car and take a ferry to Lilla Varholmen and Hisingen.
Shopping and Fika in GothenburgHaga, one of the oldest neighborhoods in Gothenburg, is packed with cafés and shops. In the pedestrian area of Haga Nygata, there are well-preserved wooden buildings. In these you will find shops selling decorations, antiques and much more.
After your shopping, do as the Swedish do and ‘make a Fika’ – which means to take a coffee break, usually with pastries.
With a rental car from Avis you can relax, then enjoy and explore Gothenburg and its surroundings. Simply book online and pick up your vehicle from one of our Avis car hire locations.
Driving rules in SwedenWhich side of the road?
In Sweden, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Do not use a mobile phone or GPS in any manner that could be deemed ‘detrimental to driving’
- In rural areas, you are likely to encounter animals such as moose and deer on the road. Please drive slowly and carefully, especially at night
- There is a congestion charge payable when driving in Stockholm and Goteborg/Gothenburg
- Dipped headlights must be used at all times
All speed signs will be in km/h.
For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban areas: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Rural areas: 70 km/h (mph)
- High speed roads (Motortrafikled): 90 km/h (55 mph)
- Motorways (Motorväg): 110 km/h (80 mph)
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 15 and less than 135cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size
- A child must never sit in a seat with an active airbag
Please note - It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.