Car Hire Cagliari Elmas Airport
Address & Contact DetailsAeroporto Cagliari Elmas, Cagliari, 09100. Tel: 070240081
Car hire at Cagliari International AirportAs soon as you land in Sardinia, pick up your Avis car rental at Cagliari International Airport. Explore Italy's second largest island from the comfort of your own rental car.
Plan your trip from Cagliari International AirportCagliari is considered the best way to get up close to the true Sardinia. In just 11 minutes from Cagliari International Airport on Via dei Trasvolatori you'll reach the town centre, where you'll begin to explore what this destination has to offer.
Much of Cagliari's historical architecture is located near the town centre. Popular pilgrimage site Santuario e Basilica di Bonaria is well worth a visit, as is Bastione di Saint Remy, a neoclassical-style lookout that provides panoramic views of the area. Torre di San Pancrazio and Torre dell'Elefante are both perfect examples of Pisan military architecture, but everywhere you will spot evidence of the Roman Empire: ruins, museums, churches.
The upbeat vibe and lively personality of the town draws visitors to Cagliari. Stop by a cafe near the waterfront in the Marina district and soak up the atmosphere. Locals and tourists mingle in the piazzas during sunset in Il Castello.
When it's time to escape, relax on Poetto Beach, Sardinia's longest, during the day and discover its vibrant nightlife come sunset.
Cagliari is just the start. Ride around in your rental car and see the sights along the way.
Road trips from Cagliari International AirportSardinia is a relatively small island, so exploring the region in your Avis hire car will help you make the most of your trip. There are castles, ancient ruins, quaint towns and a dramatic coastline. It's all yours to discover.
Barumini is about 50km north of Cagliari. History buffs flock here for Su Nuraxi di Barumini, a Bronze-Age defensive structure and World Heritage Site. The original purpose of the complex is still debated.
The quaint village of Oristano has a lively town centre and streets lined with small boutiques, upscale restaurants and popular cafes. The basilica church Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta is well worth a visit, as is Museo Antiquarium Arborense, an archaeological museum. Oristano is just an hour's drive from Cagliari on the SS131.
Set off early from Cagliari and drive two hours on the SS131 to reach Bosa, where a hilltop castle known as Castello Malaspina has stood guard for over 1,000 years. Inside, there's an impressive 14th-century fresco and a 4th-century chapel. The town itself reveals a cluster of colourful houses in the castle's shadow. The small harbour serves as the second home to local fishermen.
Italian rules of the roadWhich side of the road?
In Italy, please drive on the right side of the road.
Country driving laws
- Mobile phones may only be used with a hands-free device
- Dipped headlights must be used in poor daylight visibility when driving on motorways, dual carriageways and rural roads
- Use the outside lane to overtake on motorways and dual carriageways
- Do not use the horn in a built up area unless in danger
- There are historical areas in which you cannot drive. Look out for “Zona traffico limitato”
All speed signs will be in km/h. For a standard Avis rental vehicle with no trailers:
- Urban roads: 50 km/h (31 mph)
- Urban highways: 70 km/h (44 mph)
- Secondary extra-urban roads: 90 km/h (56 mph)
- Main extra-urban roads (Expressways): 110 km/h (68 mph)
- Motorways: 130 km/h (80mph)
Unless indicated by road signs.
Be aware of changes to speed limits displayed on road signs due to adverse weather conditions.
Child safety / Seatbelt laws
- It is compulsory for the driver and all passengers to wear a seatbelt
- Children aged under 12 and less than 150cm tall must be seated in an appropriate child restraint for their size
- Children weighing up to 9kg must travel in a rear-facing child restraint, in the back of the car only
Please note - it is the child’s parent/guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
This road rules information is for provided for general guidance only. We endeavour to keep the information up to date and accurate, but any reliance you place on this information is at your own risk.